Teen Advisory Group (TAG)
Contact Cassandra Lull at 509-942-7665 or email@example.com with any questions.
How to Join:
Ask for an application at the front desk or print one off here.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance status by phone or email. Members will be required to renew their membership annually. Those not chosen are kept on file for one year and qualifying applicants, in the order they have applied, will be the first considered. Those on the waiting list may reapply when their application expires.
Applicants are allowed to attend one meeting before membership to see if TAG is the right fit for them. TAG meets every Wednesday at 4-5 pm.
What We Do:
A teen advisory group is a group of teens who are interested in becoming more involved in their community and/or library. Teens will work with the librarian to decide what their group would like to do. Members can give their input on library teen collections, contribute to blogs or other social networks, help lead and create teen programming, volunteer at events, organize community service projects, and/or influence how their library serves teens. TAG allows teens to develop a sense of pride and responsibility for teen programming and materials in their library.
Benefits of TAG:
- Members have a say in what your library has to offer teens.
- Opportunity to be creative and expressive.
- Personal satisfaction in serving your community and peers.
- Develop marketable leadership skills and job-like experience and responsibility—being on time, calling/emailing if late or sick, and earning a reference for job and college applications.
- Participation looks great on job, scholarship, and college applications.
- Some events allow members to receive volunteer service credits.
Responsibilities as a TAG member:
- Attend meetings to talk with other members, meet new people, and assist the library in developing events and programs for teens.
- Give input on materials and services the library should offer for teens.
- Develop and implement library outreach to teens.
- Support library efforts to connect with teens.
- Optional, but encouraged, volunteer opportunities for unrelated library events.
- Parental permission.
- Application completed and signed.
- Enthusiasm for reading, technology, teen events, and libraries.
- Commit to TAG for one year of service.
- Attend weekly, hour long meetings.
- Additional hours as requested for programs and projects.
- Attend at least 6 teen programs a year.